RE: ADD 804570 - The elevator bug

To: 'Tony Gale' <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ADD 804570 - The elevator bug
From: "Lord, Steve" <SLord@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:05:53 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I should comment here - since it was an old message of mine which
was sent around again. The code I suggested people try is buggy,
there was followup in linux kernel about this. Basically the
elevator 'bug' is a starvation problem which is due to it using
very large constants for how many times a request can be scanned
over before it has to be processed. It never caused a crash,
it just caused some test programs to hang for about a day before
they worked through the elevator.

Fixing the elevator should be as simple as either getting hold of
elvtune which can tweak these parameters or changing them in the
code (probably elevator.c) I am in a hotel room in Denver and I
don't have direct access to source at the moment, or I would point
you at the right places.

[ Side note on repair and the lost+found directory - the first thing
repair does is remove this directory without removing its contents,
which means that if you run repair with a lost+found with contents
you will always get unlinked files. If you want to keep the files
then move them somewhere else (renaming lost+found would work) or
just delete them between repair runs. I do not know the reasoning
behind this logic, the authors or repair left SGI a long time
ago.

You state that your news server hangs after about a week - this is
the thing which needs digging into I think. Have you tried dropping
into kdb when this happens - a dump of all stack traces might be a
good starting point.

Steve