ADD 804570 - The elevator bug

To: nb@xxxxxxx
Subject: ADD 804570 - The elevator bug
From: pv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (srn@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:38:51 -0800 (PST)
Cc: raa@xxxxxxx, huovinen@xxxxxxx, cattelan@xxxxxxx, mann@xxxxxxx, tbd@xxxxxxx, rrl@xxxxxxx, alaffin@xxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Webexec: webpvupdate,pvincident
Webpv: dhcp-163-154-5-223.engr.sgi.com
View Incident:
http://co-op.engr.sgi.com/BugWorks/code/bwxquery.cgi?search=Search&wlong=1&view_type=Bug&wi=804570

 Assigned Engineer : nb                Submitter : coreym
*Modified User : srn                  *Modified User Domain : engr
*Description :
I ran rwtest on a xfs-linux filesystem on the machine permit:

rwtest 100000000:/mnt1/file_1 >/tmp/file_1.out 2>&1 &

This caused df, ls -l, fdisk, and top all to hang.

Permit is running Redhat 6.2 with a 2.4.0-test5 kernel

==========================
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (ADD)

==========================
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (ADD)
From: srn@engr (BugWorks)
Date: Dec 01 2000 07:38:50PM

QA has identified this as one of their top IA32 bugs.
I've asked Chris Brady in FTS to triage and take
a look to see if we can help; here's his comments:

#804570 - The elevator bug
This is is a system hang problem that sounds fairly serious.
However, it looks like it is only related to the xfs filesystem.
I sent e-mail to the case owner (nb@sgi whoever that is) and
offered help.  If we can help with this I will try to get
Sean on it.