Re: kernelcrash during root filesystem recovery

To: utz lehmann <xfs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kernelcrash during root filesystem recovery
From: Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan <ananth@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:12:03 -0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
utz lehmann wrote:

> ok, here is the backtrace (via serial console):
        [ ... ]

> Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: ide0(3,6) (dev: 3/6)
> kernel BUG at slab.c:1542!

        [ ... ]

> what should i do next?

First, the immediate BUG() is due to a bogus sized
kmalloc being requested.

Second, I've been seeing problems here with recovery;
so far I thought it was a bug in code that I've been
working on. But looking at your backtrace may be something
else is broken.

Looking through some recent changes, I think a bcopy
was accidentally deleted. In file fs/xfs/xfs_log_recover.c,
AFTER the kmem_realloc( ... ) at line 1218, can you ADD:

         bcopy(dp , &ptr[old_len], len);                 /* s, d, l */

Can you please recompile & retry recovery?

Thanks for your efforts in providing debug information!

ananth.

PS: Daniel, revision 1.195 is where the bcopy was taken out.
    It appears to be an error. Can you please check?

Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan ("ananth")
Member Technical Staff, SGI.