Re: resizing xfs

To: Christian Guertler <christian.guertler@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: resizing xfs
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:16:24 -0600
Cc: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Christian Guertler wrote:

> Hi;
>
> does anyone know, howto enlarge a partition with xfs-filesystem?
> xfs_growfs says, that "data-size is too large, maximum is 1024143" after
> "xfs_growfs -D 1024500 /test_xfs" for example.
>
> These are the data after "xfs_growfs -n /test_xfs"
> meta-data=/test_xfs              isize=256    agcount=8, agsize=128018 blks
> data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=1024143, imaxpct=25
>          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
> naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
> log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=1200
> realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
>
> But there is enough space on my disk (it is a disk with 30 GB, now 3
> partitions each 4 GB)
> Do I have to build an new partition with ext2 and do I have to use lvm or
> does it work without lvm, too? The man-page on xfs_growfs is not really
> clear for me.

What is the size of your partition?
You are probably requesting a size larger than the partition can handle.
The max size for any XFS file system basic block size 512 rounded down to the
nearest
file system block size in this case (and all case at the moment) 4k.

Simply running xfs_growfs </mntpt> should expand the file system to the max
available
for that partition.