Re: HEADS UP test11 merge.

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HEADS UP test11 merge.
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:14:45 +1100
Cc: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs-announce@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:53:29 +0100,
Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 10:24:23AM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 20:40:31 +0100,
>> Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >I needed this patch from Russel King to load xfs again (without it the
>> >module
>> >This was with modutils 2.3.14.
>>
>> The fact that Documentation/Changes requires modutils 2.3.18 for
>> kernels >= 2.4.0-test10 has obviously escaped everybody's notice.
>> You should be using modutils 2.3.21 anyway, to fix the local root
>> exploit.
>
>The code in module.c was obviously wrong anyways though, otherwise
>it would be rather useless to pass the structure size in.

module.c was wrong but it only trips when you use old modutils on a
current kernel.  BTW, the patch was mine, not Russel King's.  Russel
reported the problem first with a patch but his patch was in the wrong
place, I did the correct patch.

>I also do not care about local root exploits on my test machines.

But you should care about upgrading according to Documentation/Changes.
modutils 2.3.18 was required for kernel 2.4.0-test10, 2.3.14 is too
old.  Before introducing significant kernel changes I issue new
modutils and bump the required version in Changes then wait one or two
kernel releases before adding the corresponding kernel patch.  That way
people get a chance to upgrade modutils gracefully instead of
immediately hitting problems when a new kernel is released.  But that
assumes people read Documentation/Changes.