Re: XFS filesystem corrupts on umount

To: "Russel Ingram" <ringram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS filesystem corrupts on umount
From: Daniel Moore <dxm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:40:16 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Russel Ingram" writes:

 => This had also occured to me but I had nothing to base it on.  The system is
 =>  a 486 running an Evergreen 100MHz processor with 32M RAM.

You and I must be the only two people who still have only 32M of RAM :)

The problem here is that the recovery fails to allocate a big chunk of
RAM it requests when recovering a filesystem with a non-empty log. This
means that the first mount of a new filesystem is ok, the first mount
after running xfs_repair is ok, but all others fail.

The development release has a work-around for this problem which should
get you going - unfortunately it didn't quite make it into the beta release.

 Daniel Moore                  dxm@xxxxxxx
 R&D Software Engineer         Phone: +61-3-98348209
 SGI Performance Tools Group   Fax:   +61-3-98132378