ADD 797165 - rationalise uuid kernel code for XFS

To: btg@xxxxxxx
Subject: ADD 797165 - rationalise uuid kernel code for XFS
From: pv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (dxm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Webexec: webpvupdate,pvincident
Webpv: proxy2.melbourne.sgi.com
View Incident:
http://co-op.engr.sgi.com/BugWorks/code/bwxquery.cgi?search=Search&wlong=1&view_type=Bug&wi=797165

 Assigned Engineer : btg               Submitter : nathans
*Modified User : dxm                  *Modified User Domain : engr
*Description :
stick this in a bug so it isn't forgotten...

On Jul 21,  8:40am, Nathan Scott wrote:
> Subject: Re: LVM vs. kiobuf I/O
> > >         - Kernel uuid generation support
>
> I think there's a bunch of stuff which can be rationalised
> there too...

==========================
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (ADD)
From: dxm@engr (BugWorks)
Date: Oct 01 2000 07:45:40PM
==========================

This idea has come up before, but I'm raising it again so
we can hopefully get a resolution.

We figure that having the kernel change the uuid of a FS on
mount is a bad idea. The implementation of that at the moment
is at least a little bit broken.

I've added a command to xfs_db which lets the user change
the uuid of a FS from userland, so I'd like to drop the
kernel equivalent.

Note we still need the uuidtab stuff so we can check for
duplicate mounts, but instead of forcing a new uuid, we'd
just fail to mount a duplicate FS.

Any objections to this idea?