Re: RedHat 7.0

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.0
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:57:16 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 09:02 AM 9/28/2000 -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:52:28 +0200,
> Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I'll test at least the beta kernel and then try to compile the cvs kernel.
> >(but as far as I know there are 2.4 kernel issues with gcc2.96 (which is a
> >pre snapshot)
>
> gcc 2.95 onwards rewrote the ix86 code for function prologues.  kdb
> backtrace cannot handle the newer prologue code, gdb has problems with
> it as well.  gcc 2.7.2.3 and gcc 2.91 (egcs-1.1.2) are OK.

I have not checked, but I think redhat ships two compilers, there is a
kgcc package in the 7.0 release for kernel compilation, not sure of the
version in it.

I would have to check if it's available. Workstation is upgraded by now and running in it's previous state. (always tricky upgrading machines - breaking stuff) The standard apache seems broken with some rsa crypto clash (php-4.02)

Is the compiler hardcoded in the xfs source? (just checked out cvs tree)
I got the error that gcc-2.91-6 was not available ?!

gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
gcc -V egcs-2.91.66 -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
gcc: file path prefix `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/' never used
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

??

That should definitely not happen. I did make mrproper before compiling.
make mrproper && make menuconfig && make dep && make bzImage etc..

Other concerns would be that the binaries of user space which are
dynamically linked agains glibc will have issues with the newer glibc
in Redhat 7.0. In theory they would not but.....

Not really found any (yet ;-)
More to come

--
Seth