Re: RedHat 7.0

To: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.0
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:02:11 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:52:28 +0200,
> Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I'll test at least the beta kernel and then try to compile the cvs kernel.
> >(but as far as I know there are 2.4 kernel issues with gcc2.96 (which is a
> >pre snapshot)
>
> gcc 2.95 onwards rewrote the ix86 code for function prologues.  kdb
> backtrace cannot handle the newer prologue code, gdb has problems with
> it as well.  gcc 2.7.2.3 and gcc 2.91 (egcs-1.1.2) are OK.

I have not checked, but I think redhat ships two compilers, there is a
kgcc package in the 7.0 release for kernel compilation, not sure of the
version in it.

Other concerns would be that the binaries of user space which are
dynamically linked agains glibc will have issues with the newer glibc
in Redhat 7.0. In theory they would not but.....

Steve