Re: Can any one explain this behavior?

To: William L Jones <jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can any one explain this behavior?
From: Daniel Moore <dxm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:03:59 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
William L Jones writes:
 =>
 => If you create and mount a xfs file system then untar a few files and direct
 => ories in to it
 => then run xfs_check you get errors.   If you do a sync and then run xfs_chec
 => k on the
 => file system you still get errors. If you umount and mount the file system t
 => hen
 => the errors go away.
 =>
 => I think this is has to do with the way the log transactions are handled and
 =>  that their is
 => no problem.
 =>
 => But I would like to know for sure!

This is definitely a FAQ.

xfs_check and xfs_repair should only be run on unmounted filesystems.
Otherwise they will most likely report FS corruption as the FS is
seldom completely consistent whilst mounted.

There's good odds that a just mounted FS is consistent.

Actually I was thinking it would be a good idea to make xfs_check and
xfs_repair fail or at least warn before checking a mounted FS...

 Daniel Moore                  dxm@xxxxxxx
 R&D Software Engineer         Phone: +61-3-98348209
 SGI Performance Tools Group   Fax:   +61-3-98132378