Re: xfs as root fs

To: kenmcd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs as root fs
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:04:39 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ken McDonell wrote:

On 11 Sep 2000 08:03:10 GMT, Thomas Graichen wrote:
> > but what i discovered was something i remembered having read about
> being fixed a few days ago (but could not find it in the mails):
> after running xfs_repair on an (unmounted) xfs fs - mounting
> it directly after that - unmounting it again ... now a new
> mount try fails with log problems - running xfs_repair
> (which does not find any errors) fixes the problem
> so the fs is mountable after that ... it also
> works in normal use (without the mount short
> after the xfs_repair) ... but i'll look at
> it closer and give more details (btw. all
> the stuff was from fri 8.9. so _after_ i
> read about the fix)

Thomas, if you still have the source tree that was used to make this
kernel, can you please let me know which version of
cmd/xfs/repair/phase2.c you have?

The symptoms sound exactly like the problem Steve's take was aiming
to fix, namely

        - repair (introduces error)
        - mount
        - umount
        - mount (2nd mount sees error)

His fix was rev 1.30 of cmd/xfs/repair/phase2.c checked into the
internal RCS tree at 11:42am PDT on Fri 9/8 ... it would not have
appeared in the CVS tree until sometime later.

Just a FYI/ Reminder here:
The CVS tree version numbers are same as the "internal" version numbers.

Also the tree is synced every hour, so any "TAKE" messages posted to the list shows
up fairly quickly in the cvs repository.