Re: xfs as root fs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs as root fs
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Sep 2000 21:03:32 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> btw. i redid all on my machine at home: rebuild the tools after a
>> make realclean, built a fresh kernel (sources from friday 8.9.)
>> and re-mkfs.xfs'ed the filesystems - so far i was not able to
>> reproduce the problem again - but i will keep an eye on it
>> and try this patch then ... will do the same procedure as
>> above now for the two testmachines here at work too
>>
>> but what i discovered was something i remembered having read about
>> being fixed a few days ago (but could not find it in the mails):
>> after running xfs_repair on an (unmounted) xfs fs - mounting
>> it directly after that - unmounting it again ... now a new
>> mount try fails with log problems - running xfs_repair
>> (which does not find any errors) fixes the problem
>> so the fs is mountable after that ... it also
>> works in normal use (without the mount short
>> after the xfs_repair) ... but i'll look at
>> it closer and give more details (btw. all
>> the stuff was from fri 8.9. so _after_ i
>> read about the fix)

> Ugh!, I will give this a try.

this is what i get for the failed mount retrys:

  Start mounting filesystem: ide0(3,5)
  XFS: xlog_find_verify_log_record: need to back-up
  XFS: failed to find log head
  XFS: log mount/recovery failed

  XFS: log mount failed

as said - it works perfectly again after an xfs_repair which does
not show any error

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
technical director                                       innominate AG
clustering & security                                networking people
tel: +49.30.308806-13  fax: -77                   http://innominate.de