Re: xfs as root fs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs as root fs
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Sep 2000 08:03:10 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thomas Graichen wrote:

>> > I'll restart my xfs root fs machine with the latest build... see what
>> > happens.
>> > Maybe it's a recent change.
>>
>> hmmm - schroedingers cat - i just tried to reproduce it and now it
>> works all time ... so if you have other things to work on just
>> ignore this one until i have reproduced it better and can
>> give you some more details about it

> Try this patch... it may help.

> This will issue another round of trying to sync the fs to a clean state.
> In talking with Steve about this, it may be possible for xfs inodes to not
> completely
> be flushed out after the first sync, hopefully the second one will catch the
> rest
> of
> the clean up necessary.

> *** /usr/tmp/TmpDir.15204-0/linux/fs/xfs/linux/xfs_super.c_1.86 Fri Sep  8
> 15:31:09
> 2000
> --- linux/fs/xfs/linux/xfs_super.c      Fri Sep  8 14:44:54 2000
> ***************
> *** 565,570 ****
> --- 565,573 ----
>                 PVFS_SYNC(vfsp->vfs_fbhv,
>                                   SYNC_ATTR|SYNC_WAIT|SYNC_CLOSE,
>                                   sys_cred, error);
> +               PVFS_SYNC(vfsp->vfs_fbhv,
> +                                 SYNC_ATTR|SYNC_WAIT|SYNC_CLOSE,
> +                                 sys_cred, error);
>                 if (error) {
>                   sb->s_flags=save;
>                   printk("XFS: Failed to sync for read-only remount\n");

but why this should help - i never got the "XFS: Failed to sync .."
line ... ok but maybe PVFS_SYNC does not do it's job completely
all the time - is that the idea?

btw. i redid all on my machine at home: rebuild the tools after a
make realclean, built a fresh kernel (sources from friday 8.9.)
and re-mkfs.xfs'ed the filesystems - so far i was not able to
reproduce the problem again - but i will keep an eye on it
and try this patch then ... will do the same procedure as
above now for the two testmachines here at work too

but what i discovered was something i remembered having read about
being fixed a few days ago (but could not find it in the mails):
after running xfs_repair on an (unmounted) xfs fs - mounting
it directly after that - unmounting it again ... now a new
mount try fails with log problems - running xfs_repair
(which does not find any errors) fixes the problem
so the fs is mountable after that ... it also
works in normal use (without the mount short
after the xfs_repair) ... but i'll look at
it closer and give more details (btw. all
the stuff was from fri 8.9. so _after_ i
read about the fix)

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
technical director                                       innominate AG
clustering & security                                networking people
tel: +49.30.308806-13  fax: -77                   http://innominate.de