Re: xfs as root fs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs as root fs
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 8 Sep 2000 15:41:13 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> i run several machines for testing with xfs root filesystem and it
>> looks like something is not working properly ... all the systems
>> are dual bootable with ext2 root from which i max xfs_check or
>> xfs_repair the xfs root partition ... from time to time i
>> just boot into that system (after a clean shutdown of the
>> xfs root system) and check the xfs fs and in most cases
>> it contains various simple problems ... anybody else
>> seeing this too? (anybody else running with xfs as
>> /?)
>>

> I just tried three copies of a root filesystem into xfs using

> find / -mount -print | cpio -pdm /mnt/root

> In two out of the three cases running repair on the resulting
> filesystem I got a number of disconnected inodes:

> disconnected inode 132, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 133, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 134, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 135, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 136, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 137, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 138, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 139, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 140, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 141, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 142, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 143, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 144, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 145, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 146, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 147, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 148, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 149, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 150, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 151, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 152, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 153, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 154, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 155, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 156, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 157, moving to lost+found
> disconnected inode 158, moving to lost+found
> disconnected dir inode 524416, moving to lost+found

> I have not yet determined anything special about the files themselves - a
> couple are named pipes, the rest seem to be temporary files.

> This looks like something to start digging from.

yes - the things i usually had were the /var/run/sybsys/* files on
readhat - so stuff changed or removed in the shutdown process

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
technical director                                       innominate AG
clustering & security                                networking people
tel: +49.30.308806-13  fax: -77                   http://innominate.de