ADD 801063 - mkfs.xfs after having ext2 mounted on a device can fail

To: nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ADD 801063 - mkfs.xfs after having ext2 mounted on a device can fail
From: pv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:02:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Webexec: webpvupdate,pvincident
Webpv: wobbly.melbourne.sgi.com
View Incident:
http://co-op.engr.sgi.com/BugWorks/code/bwxquery.cgi?search=Search&wlong=1&view_type=Bug&wi=801063

 Assigned Engineer : nathans           Submitter : lord
*Modified User : nathans              *Modified User Domain : engr
*Description :
Running mkfs to build an xfs filesystem after a partition has
been mounted as ext2 has periodically failed for me. The failure
is usually this:

[root@lord /]# mkfs -t xfs -f -l size=16000b /dev/sda4
meta-data=/dev/sda4              isize=256    agcount=8, agsize=149104 blks
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=1192826, imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=0
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=16000

==========================
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (ADD)
From: nathans@engr (BugWorks)
Date: Sep 06 2000 04:02:31PM
==========================

Hi Steve,

Tried in vain a couple of times to produce this locally... can
you send me the entire strace output from the failed run (if
you still have it or can easily reproduce it?)

The two most interesting things would be the result from the
BLKGETSIZE ioctl and the line in xfs_mkfs.c where the writebuf
fails (ltrace might help here, if you have that installed?).

Also - has this volume ever had lvm stuff on it?  (i.e. is the
BLKGETSIZE gonna be answered by the lvm or the sd driver?)  Once
upon a time I saw mkfs on an lvm device fail like this but could
never reproduce it (I was doing initial libxfs stuff at the time,
so assumed I'd messed up somehow...)

cheers.