ADD 800480 - xlog_grant_log_space can wait indefinitely

To: lord@xxxxxxx
Subject: ADD 800480 - xlog_grant_log_space can wait indefinitely
From: pv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (ananth@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Webexec: webpvupdate,pvincident
Webpv: sgigate.sgi.com
View Incident:
http://co-op.engr.sgi.com/BugWorks/code/bwxquery.cgi?search=Search&wlong=1&view_type=Bug&wi=800480

 Assigned Engineer : lord              Submitter : ananth
*Modified User : ananth               *Modified User Domain : engr
*Description :
We have a semi-production build machine that is
running XFS bits as of 8/23/00. I have seen
things like "rm" getting into the following backtrace:

---------
schedule+0x415
_sv_wait+0xcd
xlog_grant_log_space+0x139
xfs_log_reserve+0x7b
xfs_trans_reserve+0x76

==========================
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (ADD)
From: ananth@engr (BugWorks)
Date: Aug 30 2000 09:49:17AM
==========================

Here's the mail from Jalal who builds the images:

----------

> An issue came about just a little while back
> regarding the c compiler used for
> the experimental builds. Can you please
> tell me what version is being used?
>
> thanks!
>
> ananth.

usr/bin/cc is from RedHat-6.2 egcs-1.1.2-30.i386.rpm.  mkchrootdir-6.2
scripts sets the chroot env.  It is located under
/hosts/bonnie.engr/proj/sgilinux/1.4/isms/linuxmeister/dev1.4.

Jalal

kdb is installed on the system; that's the source of
the backtrace. I didn't have serial console at that time,
so the backtrace was written down "by hand".

Finally, I attempted a "du" on a workarea on the
filesystem when the "rm" was hung. The du hung as well;
sorry the backtrace of du was not noted. Neither
were short-term hangs. The rm, in particular, was hung
for more than 10 minutes (perhaps even 1/2 hour).

ananth.