ADD 800480 - xlog_grant_log_space can wait indefinitely

To: nb@xxxxxxx
Subject: ADD 800480 - xlog_grant_log_space can wait indefinitely
From: pv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (lord@xxxxxxx)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 07:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Webexec: webpvupdate,pvincident
Webpv: jen.americas.sgi.com
View Incident:
http://co-op.engr.sgi.com/BugWorks/code/bwxquery.cgi?search=Search&wlong=1&view_type=Bug&wi=800480

 Assigned Engineer : nb                Submitter : ananth
*Modified User : lord                 *Modified User Domain : sgi.com
*Description :
We have a semi-production build machine that is
running XFS bits as of 8/23/00. I have seen
things like "rm" getting into the following backtrace:

---------
schedule+0x415
_sv_wait+0xcd
xlog_grant_log_space+0x139
xfs_log_reserve+0x7b
xfs_trans_reserve+0x76

==========================
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (ADD)
From: lord@xxxxxxx (BugWorks)
Date: Aug 30 2000 07:14:30AM

First off lets confirm the right compiler was used - we really
need to fix that issue.

Secondly, in order to diagnose this problem we are going to need
to be able to run a kernel with kdb turned on and go look at
things if this happens again. A thread stuck in this location
is prefectly normal in the short term, the trick is to find
who in the system is really wedged which is stopping log space
from being freed up.