Re: linux XFS FAQ available

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: linux XFS FAQ available
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 8 Aug 2000 14:49:05 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs-announce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cool, here are a couple of things which jump out straight away.

> On building the kernel, the xfs configuration options are marked
> experimental, so you need to turn on experimental build options.

added

> On building the commands, you can run

>       ./Makepkgs verbose

> in the cmd/xfs directory to build source and binary RPM packages of the
> commands (this needs to be run as root).

added

>>> Q: How do i use XFS ?
>>> Just reboot the new build kernel and create a filesytem on an empty
>>> partition
>>>
>>>   mkfs_xfs /dev/foo

> If you install the commands via a make install in the command tree then
> mkfs_xfs is installed as mkfs.xfs which means you can also use

>       mkfs -t xfs /dev/foo

added

> there are also man pages, see mkfs.xfs for lots of mkfs options, e.g.

>       mkfs -t xfs -l size=16000b /dev/foo

> changes the default size of the on disk log.

added

>>> where /dev/foo is the the partition you want to use (you may have to
>>> use the -f option of mkfs_xfs if this partition already con- tains an
>>> old filesystem which you want to overwrite). Now you can mount the
>>> filesystem using:
>>>
>>>   mount -t xfs /dev/foo /somewhere

> There are also lots of mount options, looks like we do not install a man
> page for these right now, I will get one added.

tell me whenever you have something ready so that i can add it

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
technical director                                       innominate AG
clustering & security                                networking people
tel: +49.30.308806-13  fax: -77                   http://innominate.de