Re: linux XFS FAQ available

To: Thomas Graichen <graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: linux XFS FAQ available
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:38:13 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs-announce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> i have written down the beginning of an linux XFS FAQ at
>
>   http://innominate.org/~graichen/projects/xfs/FAQ
>
> please mail me any comments and addtions

Cool, here are a couple of things which jump out straight away.

On building the kernel, the xfs configuration options are marked
experimental, so you need to turn on experimental build options.

On building the commands, you can run

        ./Makepkgs verbose

in the cmd/xfs directory to build source and binary RPM packages of the
commands (this needs to be run as root).

>> Q: How do i use XFS ?
>> Just reboot the new build kernel and create a filesytem on an empty
>> partition
>>
>>   mkfs_xfs /dev/foo

If you install the commands via a make install in the command tree then
mkfs_xfs is installed as mkfs.xfs which means you can also use

        mkfs -t xfs /dev/foo

there are also man pages, see mkfs.xfs for lots of mkfs options, e.g.

        mkfs -t xfs -l size=16000b /dev/foo

changes the default size of the on disk log.

>> where /dev/foo is the the partition you want to use (you may have to
>> use the -f option of mkfs_xfs if this partition already con- tains an
>> old filesystem which you want to overwrite). Now you can mount the
>> filesystem using:
>>
>>   mount -t xfs /dev/foo /somewhere

There are also lots of mount options, looks like we do not install a man
page for these right now, I will get one added.