Re: SGI XFS on ppc

To: thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SGI XFS on ppc
From: Daniel Moore <dxm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:49:01 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs-announce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord writes:

 => > ok - i have found the place where it hangs (by the help of lots of
 => > printk's and at the end also delays :-) - it loops in xfs_xlatesb
 => > through the while loop taking the "if (arch == ARCH_NOCONVERT" and
 => > the "if (dir>0) {" (not the "else" one in both cases) ... does this
 => > help you in any way ? - should i print out any variables there ?

 => My cheap answer is we wait for the Australians who did the endian
 => conversion
 => work to come in to work.  A big endian version of this code has booted but
 => any changes this required have not been put back into the tree, I suspect
 => something in this area, since this code is dealing with byte swapping
 => and should be a noop in your case.

We're awake now but soon to be in meetings.

Stubbing out xfs_xlatesb is fine in the mount, but later on it gets
used to copy selected fields between two superblocks, so you'll need
it to work.

When you say it loops in xfs_xlatesb, do you mean it loops _forever_?
Because it should loop quite a few times (once for each field) but
obviously should terminate.

If it loops forever, I suspect there must be an endian issue with
xfs_lowbit64. Could you print out the value "f" returned by this
each time around and let me know what you get? You should get
"0", "1", "2"... "42" and then the function should exit

The only way I can see it getting stuck is if xfs_lowbit64 has issues
and ends up returning the wrong number, never letting the while terminate.

You'll need xfs_lowbit64 to be correct for everything to work, so it
would be worth checking it out...

Let me know how you get on.

 Daniel Moore                  dxm@xxxxxxx
 R&D Software Engineer         Phone: +61-3-98348209
 SGI Performance Tools Group   Fax:   +61-3-98132378