Re: SGI XFS on ppc

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SGI XFS on ppc
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 31 Jul 2000 16:30:08 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2000, Thomas Graichen wrote:
>> * how to test the xfs filesystem without the tools? - i just made
>>   a small 32mb xfs filesystem on an x86 and dd'ed to a file which
>>   you can easily dd onto any partition and mount it as xfs fs there
>>   (verified to work on x86)
>> * trying to mount the dd'ed filesystem just hangs the machine - no
>>   output so far (xfs is compiled with debug and vnode tracing and
>>   syslog will give *.* to the console) ...

> Is XFS now always big endian (as we discussed about at Linux-Kongreß 1999),
> or is it still native endian, so you cannot use an x86 image on big endian
> machines?

i understood it it's now always bigendian on all arches to make
sharing devices easier

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
technical director                                       innominate AG
clustering & security                                networking people
tel: +49.30.308806-13 fax: -77 web: http://innominate.de pgp: /pgp/tgr