Re: GRUB doesn't handle large linux kernels

To: OKUJI Yoshinori <okuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: GRUB doesn't handle large linux kernels
From: Pavel Roskin <proski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:27:22 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: zchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bug-grub@xxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > I don't know the exact definition of the term "proprietary format" but I
> > think it doesn't apply to Linux.
>
>   When a format is _not_ well-defined (or open), I assume that it is a
> "proprietary format". Thus, in my definition, the format of vmlinux is
> proprietary.

I didn't mean adding any code to GRUB, e.g. for supporting vmlinux without
the multiboot patch.

> > Another question is that we may want to select more precisely what
> > features we want. Purists will be happy with a mutliboot-only GRUB.
>
>   So what?

Another option for configure as soon as the first Linux-hater requests it.

Actually, we could just write multiboot patches for free OS'es and submit
them. A good patch for linux should incorporate the multiboot header in
[b]zImage, not in vmlinux. Those patches could be maintained in the GRUB
source tree (somewhere near the documentation) until the OS guys take over
their maintainership.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin