Re: GRUB doesn't handle large linux kernels

To: zchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: GRUB doesn't handle large linux kernels
From: OKUJI Yoshinori <okuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:19:27 +0900
Cc: bug-grub@xxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: zchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: GRUB doesn't handle large linux kernels
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:45:28 -0700

> I ran into same problem when trying to load the kernel with bpbatch and
> kmonte (loading linux from linux).  LILO however, was able to boot it
> with no problem.  Is this a bug in GRUB?

  I don't know, since you haven't told us even which version of GRUB
you are using. Read the chapter "Reporting bugs" in the document,
before transmitting a bug report.

> kernels.  Why can't GRUB handle vmlinux format (so that no kernel
> decompression is required)?

  What is the benifit from that? Do you want to slow the booting
process down?

> Is there a tool to make multiboot compliant
> vmlinux image?

  IIRC, no. Even if there were such a tool, Linux couldn't receive any
kind of benefit, as long as Linux goes its own way.

Okuji