Re: Moving XFS to 2.4.0-test1

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Moving XFS to 2.4.0-test1
From: suzukis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 8 Jun 2000 16:53:57 +0900
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:53:57 +0900
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Before all, sorry for my too-lated reply.

>XFS has been on pre2 almost exactly 2 months now.
>And it seems 2.4.0-test1 is the next right kernel to move to.
>Does anyone have opinions about vanilla 2.4.0-test1?

Since a few weeks ago, I was trying to merge SGI's XFS Linux
based on 2.3.99pre2 with later Linux kernel. Upto 2.3.99pre9,
it was not difficult so much to merge, even for the people
without indepth knowledge of Linux kernel internals, like me.
However it's really questionable whether merged kernel works
as well as pure SGI's work (the speed of Linux kernel upgrading
is faster than compilation on my 486/66MHz PC).

Yesterday, I tried to merge with Linux-2.4.0test1. I found
some symbols (which is used in XFS modules) to access
filesystem were removed - e.g. lookup_dentry and lookup_vfsmnt.
I'm really poor about the kernel internals and don't know
how to rewrite them to 2.4.0-style.

There's anybody trying to porting XFS onto 2.4.0test1 ?

suzuki