Re: TAKE - Implement the "/proc/sys/fs/xfs_stats" printout.

To: jtk@xxxxxxx, lord@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: TAKE - Implement the "/proc/sys/fs/xfs_stats" printout.
From: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:51:06 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Jun 1,  4:54am, Steve Lord wrote:
> Subject: Re: TAKE - Implement the "/proc/sys/fs/xfs_stats" printout.

> > > Ted,
> > >
> > > probably /proc/fs/xfs/xfs_stats is a better place to put this, /proc/sys
> > > tends to consist of things which control kernel tunables.
> >
> > Also the format is hard to parse by a program. I'm sure someone somewhere
> > will later curse you for that ;)
> >
> > -Andi
>

> I think we will be changing that, and there already is a program to display
> this stuff, the performance copilot at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/
> the Irix version can understand all these numbers, hooking up the linux
> one should not be too hard.

We'll do this today & I'll send mail to linux-xfs@oss and pcp@oss
once we have an updated pcp rpm (I'm not sure how long that process
takes though).

Mark's (markgw) comments on file format etc (having done all the
existing pcp metrics which come from /proc on Linux) are that the
interface should be ascii-only - he suggests using /proc/stat as
a reference.

My 2c on the file name - I prefer /proc/fs/xfs/stat for both
consistency with nfs (/proc/fs/nfs/* subdir) and the option to
add new files to the subdir later, and the "stat" file name for
consistency with most of the other statistics files in procfs.

cheers.

--
Nathan