Well done

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Well done
From: Ralph Pickering <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 00:22:15 +0100
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have been waiting with bated breath for XFS since SGI announced it's
intention to release it for Linux, and finally plucked up courage to install it
on my system yesterday. As it is not even at Beta stage, I expected no end of
compile problems etc, and was blown away when it compiled and installed
flawlessly. I am not exactly a Linux newbie, but my knowledge of filesystems
etc could cover a postage stamp, and even so, it only took about two hours to
install a fresh copy of Redhat, compile the kernel, and create the filesystem.

I'm not sure how one goes about creating a root filesystem as XFS. Can you
convert from ext2, or do you have to install on top of an existing XFS
filesystem? Perhaps I'll leave that on ice for a while... but it's something
for the FAQ when that comes about.

In any case I for one would like to say "well done" to all the developers and
testers.

Thanks

Ralph.