Re: TAKE - turn on delayed allocation

To: Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan <ananth@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TAKE - turn on delayed allocation
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:05:07 -0500
Cc: Ananth Ananthanarayanan <ananth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan wrote:

> Russell Cattelan wrote:
> >
> > Ananth Ananthanarayanan wrote:
> >
> > > Since delay_alloc ON and PAGEBUF_META off
> > > seems to not hit the corruption problems,
> > > I'm turning delay_alloc on by default.
> >
> > The corruption problem occurs with PAGEBUF_META off as well
> > as on.
> >
> > Please don't through more variables in the mix just yet.
>
> Well, it may not have to do with PAGEBUF_META.
> The corruption does seem to go away with delay_alloc ON.

Can you verify that?
I'm looking at the pagebuf_file_write path ...
delayed alloc short circutes a lot code.... maks me
wonder it the problem isn't someplace within the code that
is then truned off.

> I'd like to get as much exposure with delay allocation:
> it's been in there for 3 weeks now ... and like I said
> earlier the corruption has been there since 3/30/2000

I'm not convinced it hasn't always been there.
It takes some strange circumstances to fnd the corruption.
Generally a lot of inode activity  and a lot reads and writes.