Re: xfs and kernel size

To: roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs and kernel size
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:28:49 -0500
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I just happened to see your post on Linux kernel - you should probably
ask on linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx which is the mailing list for XFS. The
volume on the kernel list is a bit much to always catch mailings
like yours.

Anyway, if you downloaded a patch file you probably have out of date
code, the best way to get uptodate code is to use the cvs repository.
If you were attempting to use the patch and using XFS as a root filesystem
you will have problems - including a panic during boot which looked similar
to what you reported, these are fixed in the cvs version.

see: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/cvs_download.html

for instructions on how to download the repository.

As for kernel size, we do have people who have built xfs into their
kernel and run that way sucessfully, it maybe that you have a lot of
other code compiled into your kernel. I personally always use modules,
although I just did build and boot a kernel with XFS build in.

> ls -l vmlinux
-rwxr-xr-x    1 lord     network   5279892 Apr 25 10:37 vmlinux*

> size vmlinux
2083734  640497  568064 3292295  323c87 vmlinux

Steve