Re: XFS as Root filesystem

To: lws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Lyle Seaman)
Subject: Re: XFS as Root filesystem
From: Jim Mostek <mostek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:28:19 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Lyle, long time no read your typed words! Good to see your around.

Anyway, you are right that the way the file system gets into a state where
it needs to have recovery run is that it was mounted read/write (i.e. not
read-only).

Linux mounts the root, read-only, when it is coming up.
If XFS is the root file system (which was read-write) and the system crashed,
we need to run recovery before it can be mounted read-only.

As I said in an earlier mail, we should just be able to set a new flag on
the mount that says this is a special root mount and that we should run
recovery.

In xlog_recover() in xfs_log.c, we see:

                /*
                 * disallow recovery on read-only mounts.  note -- mount
                 * checks for ENOSPC and turns it into an intelligent
                 * error message.
                 */
                if (readonly)
                        return ENOSPC;

We could have a new flag passed to xlog_recover to override this and
allow recovery.

Jim