Re: XFS as Root filesystem

To: Tan Pong Heng <pongheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS as Root filesystem
From: Klaus Strebel <stb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:22:02 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tan Pong Heng wrote:

> Already done that, that is why I am certain that the hang occur after the
> successful
> mount. The last place I checked was in main.c which was trying to do
> "exec(init...)"
> it never reach the printk after all the possible init path. (Or, it may be
> taking too long
> for me to notice...)
Hi all,

the issue might be, that xfs has big problems, being mounted ro on boot.
This is the same behaviour as on IRIX (i have a Origin 200 with IRIX 6.4
on dksc(0,1,0) and IRIX 6.5 on dksc(0,2,0)). When i halt and reboot from
the other OS's root, ex. 6.5, mounting ro of the 6.4 filesystems (esp.
the root) on boot failes, due to dirty filesystem (on XFS impossible
;-). So the filesystems must 1. be mounted rw, umounted, and then
mounted ro (what i wanted). Behaps, it helps, if you ensure, that lilo
isn't booting with to ro-flag. Btw. ext3fs has the same problem. I think
Steve Tweedie solved it in ext2-0.0.2d (didn't he, had no time to test).

Bye
Klaus
--
Klaus Strebel