Re: XFS architecture ?

To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
Subject: Re: XFS architecture ?
From: Stefan Smietanowski <stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:03:23 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings.

> This has to do with the on disk format.
> All IRIX XFS implementations are MIPS Big Endian.
> The current pre-alpha Linux XFS implementation is IA32 Little Endian.
>
> We have an effort underway to allow the Linux implementation to
> run with different on disk formats (i.e. machine architectures):
> MIPS or Native (IA32, ...) or ...
>
> Multi means that the system can read/write multiple formats. The same machine
> could have different file systems each with different formats.

Linux had that before, with Big Endian machines having a Big Endian
ext2, but that was dropped before 2.0.0 if I recall correctly, and now
all linux machines use a little endian ext2 system. I can't remember the
extra overhead needed to switch endianness though ...

If it comes to using different formats based on the native endianness,
will the IRIX XFS be extended also to support this feature?

If it doesn't, that would mean that I cannot take my linux XFS partition
and move it to the IRIX machine, which imho is one point with running a
native XFS system on Linux.

// Stefan

--
Stefan Smietanowski
Head Unix Administrator, Hanse Communication