state-threads

Porting from POSIX threads to State Threads

To: state-threads@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Porting from POSIX threads to State Threads
From: Claude Johnson <cjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-state-threads@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alright, my basic question is what are the gotchas in
making this move?

I couldn't find anything in the archives about experiences
or "good to knows" in making the move from POSIX threads
to ST. I'm guessing the list would be fairly extensive.
So if someone can run down the major gotchas, that would
be helpful, in the sense of what are major differences
between Pthreads and State Threads.

Is such a port even possible? The following words, from
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/printro.html,
are somewhat ominous:

"NSPR does not provide a platform for porting existing code.
It must be used from the beginning of a software project."

If this applies to ST as well, can someone explain please?

TIA!

Claude Johnson
Network Scientist
Avamar Technologies