sgilinux11

SGI Linux 1.2

To: sgilinux11@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SGI Linux 1.2
From: Thomas Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:04:52 -0800
Sender: owner-sgilinux11@xxxxxxxxxxx
All,

As many of you may already know, we are in the final engineering days of
SGI Linux 1.2 (now officially named SGI ProPack 1.2 for Linux).  This
release differs from previous releases in that it will not include a
base distribution.  We have engineered an overlay product that runs on
top of RedHat Linux 6.1 or SuSe Linux 6.3.  We will have all of the
features of SGI Linux 1.1 plus some exciting new ones: we will be
updating to kernel 2.2.14; we will have DEVFS 99.10; kdb 0.6; major NFS
v3 fixes; crash dump updates; pretty new artwork :); and a slew of bug
fixes and other interesting tidbits that I am not remembering right now.

The reason I am spamming this group is to ask if any one would be
interested in testing Alpha or Beta versions of this product.  If you
already have SGI Linux 1.1, you will need to upgrade to RedHat 6.1
before running our overlay product.  Please email me directly if you are
interested and I will send you the information.  The pieces that need
the most testing are NFS v3, Async I/O, SCSI drivers, and the overlay
installer itself.

Please understand that this will not be officially supported and that if
you choose to participate, you do so at your own risk.  All of the
changes will be open sourced and uploaded to oss.sgi.com.  In fact, most
of the individual patches are already on oss.sgi.com.

Thanks a lot,

Tom Duffy
Core Linux, SGI