sgilinux11

Re: boot .. but!

To: Gabriele Brugnoni <Gabriele.Brugnoni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: boot .. but!
From: Thomas Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:40:46 -0800
Cc: sgilinux <sgilinux11@xxxxxxxxxxx>, tduffy@xxxxxxx
Sender: owner-sgilinux11@xxxxxxxxxxx
Gabriele Brugnoni wrote:

> Hi Thomas
> I finally did a step ahead!
>
> The machine did non want to boot because it/she does not like in the
> OSLoadOptions a 512MB
> of RAM that is:
>
> root=/dev/sda1 mem=512M  => fails
>
> root=/dev/sda1 or root=/dev/sda1 mem=256M => works.

ok...so it was the memory problem...cool! (well not so cool that you
cannot use your total memory, but cool that you can boot in)

> So it is not a matter of RedHat or Mandrake or 6.0
> (I have installed Mandrake 6.1)

I didn't think so.

> After the boot I get some errors as follow:
>
> - Finding module dependencies
>    Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.10/modules.dep   [FAILED]

this should be built at boot time...is that file present if you do an
ls?

> - checking file system
>    fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda11
> (null  ...
> etc .. etc
>
> (sda11 is the 20MB partition used to install the bootloader )

so, this is a FAT partition...maybe your /etc/fstab has it labeled as an
ext2 because it is trying to use fsck.ext2 to check it.  I guess it
worked having the PROM access it, but sda11 is on a Linux extended
partition...so that is strange.

> - /dev/sda5 : clean, 11/1923072 files, 271385/7687071 blocks   [FAILED]
>
> *** An error occurred during the file system check
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell
>
> sda5 is the partition where I want to install all the users data ..
>
> Anyway I log on typing the root pwd and everything is fine.

but you are in single user mode...you should make sure you can boot into
multiuser mode...edit your /etc/fstab to reflect the correct filesystem
types and boot into runlevel 3.

> After that I follow all the needed steps to stratX .. but when i run  startx
> I get the
> following:
>
> xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority

that is fine

> execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

don't know what is going on here...

> /etc/X11/X is linked to XF86_FBDev
> I copied XF86Config.vw in XF86Config
> /dev/hidbp-mse-0 are ok

my only guess is that you are not in multiuser mode...if you cannot get
it to boot the "right" way, you may be able to type "init 3" at the root
prompt and have it come up to runlevel 3.

--
                     _
    Tom Duffy  __   (_)