pcp

RFC - pmlogrewrite

To: pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RFC - pmlogrewrite
From: Ken McDonell <kenj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:33:11 +1000
The suggestion to split the proc metrics out of the linux pmda has
raised the question (again) of controlled rewriting of PCP archives to
handle changes in metadata over time.

pmlogextract cannot merge archives where the metadata is different for
the same metric across the input archives, e.g. type changes from 32-bit
to 64-bit with some PMDA upgrade, units change, or the name of a metric
changes or the PMID of a metric changes (which is the problem with
splitting the proc metrics out of the linux PMDA).

The proposed solution is to create pmlogrewrite and then allow
pmlogextract to preprocess all input archives with pmlogwrite before
merging.

Of course pmlogrewrite could be used stand alone as well.

The changes to be made by pmlogrewrite are defined in a control file
that would be something like the attached strawman syntax proposal.

I'd be interested in comments/feedback.  For example, I'm not convinced
of the usefulness of the "new" instance specification.

Cheers, Ken.