pcp

Re: [pcp] build issues

To: "Josef 'Jeff' Sipek" <jeffpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [pcp] build issues
From: Ken McDonell <kenj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:49:54 +1000
Cc: pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 01:12 -0400, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm trying to package up PCP for OpenIndiana [1].  I grabbed the 3.5.8
> tarball and applied the Solaris related commits in git.  It builds fine.
> The issue is with the install target.

Jeff,

This works "out of the box" (tm) for me on OpenIndiana in the QA
Farm ...

Here is my recipe snippet

pull the latest git pieces

$ make distclean
$ ./Makepkgs || botch
: this should work on _all_ platforms, and for OpenIndiana creates
: solaris packages in build/sun (in addition to a tarball that can be
: ignored)
: ... look for errors and warnings in Logs/pcp
$ cd build/sun
$ yes Y | sudo /usr/sbin/pkgrm pcp
$ yes Y | sudo /usr/sbin/pkgadd -d pcp-3.5.9 all || botch
$ sudo /usr/sbin/svcadm enable -s pcp/pcp

I just ran my daily-pcp script for my OpenIndiana VM and it works as I
expected, including running the -g sanity QA tests (I've attached the
log in case this helps).

[it all works except for a Perl build problem, which is related to
32-bit vs 64-bit builds, but this is existing, known and not related to
your issue ... which causes 1 QA failure, and another QA failure that is
a non-deterministic timing issue on VMs]

> The package build process we're implementing at OI tries to use the DESTDIR
> way of installing the software into a prototype directory.  Sadly, the PCP
> makefiles don't work that way.  Thoughts about how to work around it?  (I'd
> rather not have to make a patch which changes every makefile to support
> DESTDIR or something like it.)

How are you trying to run the "package build process"?

DESTDIR is only used for the Perl bits I think, and then I am guessing
you're trying to to "make install" ... which is not the right recipe.

If this does not help, we'll need to dig deeper to understand why my
builds work and your do not.

Cheers, Ken.