pcp

Re: pcp build fails on ia64

To: Anas Nashif <nashif@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pcp build fails on ia64
From: Mark Goodwin <markgw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:20:29 +1100 (EST)
Cc: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Anas Nashif wrote:
> I tried compiling with -fpic defined in src/include/builddefs and it seems to
> compile.
>
> >From our porting-howto:
>
> @gprel relocation against dynamic symbol ...
> This means that non-pic object files are linked into a shared library.
> The ia64 compiler _requires_ that all code in a shared library is compiled
> with -fpic.

We discovered the -fpic fix about a week ago and I've been meaning to dig
out the original mail thread to let you know of the fix. But you  beat me
to it ..

For PCP, the patch is to edit src/include/builddefs.in
and change CFLAGS near line 70 (or so) to something like:

CFLAGS += -fpic -fno-strict-aliasing $(LCFLAGS) $(WARN_OFF) -g -DPCP_DEBUG \
        -DPCP_VERSION=\"$(PCP_VERSION)\" -I$(TOPDIR)/src/include

Sorry I don't have the 2.1.x src handy at the moment, else I'd send you
a proper diff/patch.

BTW, the -fno-strict-aliasing is merely a precaution - we have
no evidence it is actually needed, but pcp does some fancy pointer
swizzling with it's pdu buffers, so it's in there just in case ...

thanks
-- Mark