pcp

Re: Running PCP as non-root

To: lemming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Running PCP as non-root
From: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:31:21 -0400
Sender: owner-pcp@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Oct 20, 10:01am, lemming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Subject: Running PCP as non-root
>    Hello!
>
>    I would like to ask why the PCP script checks whether it it is ran by
> root. I
> need to run PMCD as non-root user (possibly in chrooted environment) for
> security
> reasons. I have commented out this check and PMCD seemed to work OK. So is
> there
> any reason why it must be ran as root?

I think the reasons are mainly historical - on IRIX, the
libirixpmda PMDA needs to be root to be able to make some
of its system calls (and a couple of /dev/kmem reads), so
pmcd needs to be root.

pmcd also needs to write stuff into its log file, which is
in a  directory where only root can write (by default).

I _think_ those are the only reasons... thats all I can
remember off the top of my head, anyway.

cheers.

--
Nathan