2D application development - performance related query

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 2D application development - performance related query
From: Narendhar Rao <naren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:20:23 +0530
Sender: ogl-sample-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear All,
                I am an application developer intending to use OpenGL.
I understand OpenGL works with 3D geometry Only and all 2D geometry are
treated as 3D with z=0; Is this understanding correct?
Is there any other API for 2D application development which is
performance wise better over OpenGL?
This is in the context of development of a viewer application for
display of semi conductor layout geometry containing millions of
polygons and all present on a 2D plane.

Thanks in advance.

regards
naren