Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:12:17 -0700
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 02:37:54AM +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> BTW, will SGi be retracting the Opensourceness of the SI? I ask because I
> have heard that OpenML is closed :-(

    I believe I already responded to much the same question in a
license. OpenML has nothing to do with the SI, for that matter.

    You can't meaningfully talk about OpenML being "closed" or "open" in
the OSI sense, because OpenML is not source code; OpenML is a
specification for a set of APIs. The Khronos group intends for there to
be open source implementations of those APIs, just as the SI and Mesa
are open source implementations of the OpenGL API. I'm sure there will
also be closed source implementations from some vendors.

    Jon Leech
    SGI