Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3
From: "Luke A. Guest" <laguest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:37:54 +0100
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 05 September 2001 23:08, you wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 07:17:34PM +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just wondering when the updated SI will be available from CVS?
>
>     Hi Luke,
>
>     Brian is essentially correct. We open sourced the SI partly to
> assist PI's efforts to do Linux 3D infrastructure, and partly to enable
> our commercial licensees to open source their own hardware drivers. None
> of them have done so yet, unfortunately (I think 3dfx might have had
> they stayed in business, and I know of one or two others who are still
> thinking about it).

Yeah, but at least they released the Avenger docs ;-)

>     With Mesa providing the XFree86 infrastructure, the commercial
> OpenGL drivers all remaining proprietary, and our group being heavily
> overloaded with other responsibilities, we don't think there's reason
> for SGI to do significant further enhancements to the SI core renderer
> at this point.

I think as long as SGi do *not* turn their backs on the Open source OpenGL
SI. I see this as being a way for hobbyist/3rd party OS developers to include
OpenGL in their OSes without having to pay extortionate rates. This will/may
come into play when/if the OS in question developes further.

An example of this is AmigaDE - currently, I also see AtheOS as being capable
in the future. But if SGi want OpenGL to be viable, they need to continue
with their work on OpenGL-SI.

>     We'll continue to do a few enhancements to the GLX protocol
> infrastructure, and I'll get the 1.3 spec files out shortly, but don't
> expect much beyond that until and unless one of our licensees wants to
> do some joint work.

Well, we already have the OpenGL 1.3 specification PDf out, what we actualy
need is the SI for OpenGL.

BTW, will SGi be retracting the Opensourceness of the SI? I ask because I
have heard that OpenML is closed :-(

Luke.