Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:16:30 -0700
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 06:35:16PM +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> Do you think that SGI will retract the openness of the SI now that OpenML is
> available?

    No! (I'm unclear on why the question even came up - has someone been
spreading silly rumors again?)

    Anyway, we couldn't "retract the openness" even if we wanted to,
since the SI code is under an open source license.

    OpenML is a set of low-level APIs for digital media, most of which
are orthogonal to OpenGL (although OpenGL 1.2 + a handful of OpenGL
extensions are required for a fully compliant OpenML implementation). By
far the majority of the OpenML standards work went into ML, and ML is
basically SGI's dmSDK with the names changed a bit. dmSDK was open
sourced on oss.sgi.com a long time ago.

    I believe the digital media folks here are planning to update the
open source dmSDK to an open source ML within a few months, as IHVs get
closer to shipping ML-capable hardware.

    Jon Leech
    SGI