Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] OpenGL-SI 1.3
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:08:12 -0700
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 07:17:34PM +0100, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering when the updated SI will be available from CVS?

    Hi Luke,

    Brian is essentially correct. We open sourced the SI partly to
assist PI's efforts to do Linux 3D infrastructure, and partly to enable
our commercial licensees to open source their own hardware drivers. None
of them have done so yet, unfortunately (I think 3dfx might have had
they stayed in business, and I know of one or two others who are still
thinking about it).

    With Mesa providing the XFree86 infrastructure, the commercial
OpenGL drivers all remaining proprietary, and our group being heavily
overloaded with other responsibilities, we don't think there's reason
for SGI to do significant further enhancements to the SI core renderer
at this point.

    We'll continue to do a few enhancements to the GLX protocol
infrastructure, and I'll get the 1.3 spec files out shortly, but don't
expect much beyond that until and unless one of our licensees wants to
do some joint work.

    Jon Leech
    SGI