Re: [ogl-sample] Windows version?

To: "'ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] Windows version?
From: Suhaib Siddiqi <ssiddiqi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:53:10 -0400
Cc: "'ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
I was browsing through ogl-sample mail archive.

To answer following mail.  I am managing a Microsoft Visual C++ compiled X
server
project at http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11.  I integerated SGI SI to use
GLX extension.  SGI OpenGL SI compile (at least libGL, dixGL and Glrenderer)
with Microsoft
VC++.  I am having problems to compile GLU. However have not gotten time to
seriously work on it.
The sources and binaries are available from
http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11.  Anyone willing to help is most welcome
to join the project.

Suhaib

----------------------
On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:30:18PM -0500, Drcadmando@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I downloaded the sample files- thanx much. I see they packaged in a.tgz,
and
> I saw a lot of commentary re LINUX, which I have and will use these files
in.
> However, my primary interest at the moment is a Windows 98 implementation,
> and of course I could just convert the unix format to dos format. But I
> wonder, is there any specifically Windows activity for these source files?
> have the Windows .dll files, so somewhere there must be a project of some
> sort with its own makefile, or ide, or dsw, or something.
>
> Marvin E Walden

    Hi Marvin,

    Sorry to be so slow getting back to you.

    opengl32.dll on Windows is not quite the same code as the OpenGL SI.
While it does include a generic software renderer based on an older
version of the SI renderer, opengl32.dll primarily serves as a loader
and dispatch mechanism for vendor OpenGL ICDs (hardware drivers). It
also uses Microsoft's WGL interface, rather than GLX, to create and
manage OpenGL renderables under Windows. Parts of the WGL and ICD code
are owned by Microsoft and licensed by them to vendors writing drivers;
we can't open source code that we don't own.

    A while back, someone did port the SI under Cygwin to run with
XFree86 as a Windows application - there's a link to this work in the
news section of the ogl-sample website. That's not what you're asking
for, but it's the closest thing we have.

    Jon Leech
    SGI