Re: [ogl-sample] Windows version?

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] Windows version?
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:10:26 -0800
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:30:18PM -0500, Drcadmando@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I downloaded the sample files- thanx much. I see they packaged in a.tgz, and
> I saw a lot of commentary re LINUX, which I have and will use these files in.
> However, my primary interest at the moment is a Windows 98 implementation,
> and of course I could just convert the unix format to dos format. But I
> wonder, is there any specifically Windows activity for these source files? I
> have the Windows .dll files, so somewhere there must be a project of some
> sort with its own makefile, or ide, or dsw, or something.
>
> Marvin E Walden

    Hi Marvin,

    Sorry to be so slow getting back to you.

    opengl32.dll on Windows is not quite the same code as the OpenGL SI.
While it does include a generic software renderer based on an older
version of the SI renderer, opengl32.dll primarily serves as a loader
and dispatch mechanism for vendor OpenGL ICDs (hardware drivers). It
also uses Microsoft's WGL interface, rather than GLX, to create and
manage OpenGL renderables under Windows. Parts of the WGL and ICD code
are owned by Microsoft and licensed by them to vendors writing drivers;
we can't open source code that we don't own.

    A while back, someone did port the SI under Cygwin to run with
XFree86 as a Windows application - there's a link to this work in the
news section of the ogl-sample website. That's not what you're asking
for, but it's the closest thing we have.

    Jon Leech
    SGI