[ogl-sample] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: Thanxs for SGI's GLU 1.3 libs !

To: mesa-dev <mesa3d-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ogl-sample] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: Thanxs for SGI's GLU 1.3 libs !
From: Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:06:54 -0500
Cc: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx

> The SI GLU copyright is compatible with XFree86 so there should be
> no problem including the sources with Mesa.  The concern I have is
> what to do for people who do not have a C++ compiler.  If they
> can't compile the SI GLU they'll either need to use the old Mesa
> GLU or find a precompiled library for their system.  And until
> they solve that, they can't run many of the Mesa demos, etc.

And given the state of flux of the C++ ABI and runtime libraries
under Linux, I'm personally not too fond of C++-compiled system libraries
right now. For instance, the SGI GLU included with the SGI ProPack 1.3
overlay has a runtime dependency on /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
(ouch). If you need to compile a program with a newer version of
g++ (for instance one of the 2.97 snapshots which installs its
own libstdc++ in /usr/local/lib)  where both the runtime
library and the ABI are incompatible, you are likely to run into
problems. I have no idea how this g++ ABI transition is going to be
handled...

JF