Re: [ogl-sample] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] GLU rpm available from SGI sample imp

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] GLU rpm available from SGI sample implementation
From: Brian Paul <brianp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:08:11 -0600
Cc: mesa3d-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "James A. Treacy" <treacy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Olivier Michel wrote:

> Brian Paul wrote:
>
> > Olivier Michel wrote:
> > >
> > > Good news!
> > >
> > > The SGI sample implementation CVS was updated this week-end with many
> > > minor bug fixes that make it now possible to build a GLU rpm directly
> > > from the SGI CVS tree that works fine with Mesa.
> > >
> > > I built it yesterday night for ppc and i386. The name of the files
> > > I created are:
> > >
> > > oss-opengl-glu.spec (1.6 KB) -> my RPM spec file
> > > ogl-sample.20000925.tgz (1.7 MB) -> the source from the CVS tree
> > > oss-opengl-glu-20000925-1.i386.rpm (212 KB) -> binary package for i386
> > > oss-opengl-glu-20000925-1.ppc.rpm (242 KB) -> binary package for ppc
> >
> > Is the /usr/include/GL/glu.h header included in the binary RPM?
>
> Yes. By the way I put it in /usr/include/GL but I discovered that some recent
> Mesa-devel packages put the include files in /usr/X11R6/include/GL and the
> libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib/. My package defaults to /usr/include/GL for the
> includes and /usr/lib for the lib. However, it is relocatable that is users
> can install it in /usr/X11R6 by typing rpm -Uvh --prefix=/usr/X11R6
> package.rpm. But the question is: What is the standard localtion for Mesa
> include and libraries, /usr or /usr/X11R6 ?

The OpenGL/Linux ABI spec calls for using /usr/include/GL and /usr/lib.
See http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/

XFree86 4.0.1 and later build and install the headers and libs under
/usr/X11R6 but also make symlinks from /usr/include and /usr/lib to
satisfy the ABI spec.

> > Is there also a gluext.h file?
>
> No. Nothing looking like this is produced by SGI sample OpenGL...

OK.

> > > the process for building the rpm is very easy:
> > >
> > > 1) copy the oss-opengl-glu.spec in the rpm SPECS directory
> > > 2) copy the ogl-sample.20000925.tgz in the rpm SOURCES directory
> > > 3) cd to the SPECS directory and type rpm -bb oss-opengl-glu.spec (bb
> > > stands for build binary)
> > > 4) you get the binary package in the rpm RPMS/i386 or RPMS/ppc directory
> > >
> > > Unfortunatelly, I have no room to host these files online, but I would
> > > be a pleasure for me to upload them anywhere, so that they are available
> > > to anyone.
> >
> > I could put them on the Mesa site.  Ideally, they should also be on
> > SGI's site.
>
> Ok, thanks. How to we proceed ? Shall I upload it somewhere or send it to you
> as an e-mail attachment ?

Send them by email and I'll put them on the Mesa site.

> > > By the way, my spec file could be included into the CVS tree of the
> > > ogl-sample ?
> > >
> > > I also have the same set of files to build a Mesa rpm package without
> > > Mesa GLU (to use the GLU from the above package).
> > >
> > > Let me know if anyone can host my files.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > -Brian
>
> -Olivier

-Brian