[ogl-sample] SGI SI GLU RPM packaging for Mesa

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ogl-sample] SGI SI GLU RPM packaging for Mesa
From: Olivier Michel <Olivier.Michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:01:40 +0200
Cc: mesa3d-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

After a discussion on the mesa3d-dev mailing list, it has been decided
by Brian Paul to drop the Mesa GLU and use the SGI SI GLU instead:

See the mailing list archive for reference:

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1290/0/3943395/
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1290/0/3943052/

I am not sure we could simply merge SGI GLU within Mesa distribution
(for license reasons).
However, I would like to make it easy for end users to use Mesa together
with SGI SI GLU.

For this reason, I would like to build a couple of binary RPM packages.
The first one would contain Mesa without its GLU and the second would
contain SGI SI GLU only (that is libGLU.so and associated soft links and
the glu.h header file). For this, it might be useful to add an RPM .spec
file into the SGI GLU CVS.

Maybe it could be even simpler for the end user to have a single binary
RPM package containing both Mesa GL and SGI GLU, but I don't know if
this is legally possible ?

Could someone from SGI-OSS let me know his point of view about it ?

Thank you.

-Olivier