Re: [ogl-sample] Looking at GLX protocol - have a question about the fir

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] Looking at GLX protocol - have a question about the first byte of requests
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 01:23:56 -0800
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 01:22:37PM -0500, Kathleen Langone wrote:
>       The very first byte of the encoding for requests in the spec is simply
> labled "opcode (X assigned)". For extensions coming through the X protocol
> for GLX I would think the first byte would be 147(dec) to indicate a GLX
> request.

    Why 147, specifically?

>       I would think the coding for example of glXCreateContext would be :
>       1       CARD8           147
>       1       3               8(GLX Opcode)
>       etc...
>
>       In my code I'm working with I'm not seeing a 147 but a variable value
> there.

    I hope it's the same value on every request?

    If you're not already doing this, you may find it useful to run xmon
or some other protocol monitor in between client and server, do some
really simple GL command sequence, and break down the dump request by
request (although quite tedious, which is why I suggested someone might
enhance xmon to recognize GLX protocol requests).

    Jon Leech
    SGI