Re: [ogl-sample] Compiling libGLU on Irix-6.5 with gcc-2.95

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] Compiling libGLU on Irix-6.5 with gcc-2.95
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:08:50 -0800
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 06:37:27PM +0100, Wolfram Gloger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently, I got stuck developing an OpenGL application on Irix 6.5
> with gcc, because /usr/lib32/libGLU.so brings in libC.so, which
> clashes with libstdc++.so (as supplied by gcc).  The results where
> crashes even before main was reached (the global cin and cout objects
> are messed up).

    Right. It's not possible to mix IRIX CC and g++ objects, most of the
name mangling / alignment / calling conventions are different.

> Now, thanks to the sample impl. release, I seem to have succeeded in
> building _with gcc-2.95_ my own libGLU.so depending only on libstdc++
> (not libC), and my app runs fine ! :-) (So far just limited testing,
> though.)
>
> One trivial patch is appended below; with this the compile of libGLU
> runs through even with `c++ -ansi' as the C++ compiler.
>
> Would I be allowed to distribute the resulting libGL.so binary as a
> service to other gcc users on Irix 6.5?

    Certainly. But, please do make very clear that this libGLU is not
officially supported by SGI, so that problems with it should be sent
either to you or to the ogl-sample mailing list - the IRIX support
people aren't setup to deal with this.

    I'd suggest also specifying that this libGLU should be installed in
the gcc library directory - hopefully this is obvious to most gcc users,
but the consequences if someone were to replace the libGLU.so
distributed with IRIX by the gcc-compatible version would be nasty.

    Thanks for the patch!

    Jon Leech
    SGI